Johannesburg – Bafana Bafana’s departure for the 2026 FIFA World Cup has been postponed after the squad encountered visa issues, SAFA confirmed on Friday.
The national team was scheduled to leave for the tournament host country this week for final preparations and warm-up fixtures. SAFA said several players and support staff did not receive travel clearance in time, forcing a delay to the original flight plan.
“SAFA is working closely with the Department of International Relations and the relevant embassies to resolve the outstanding visa applications,” the association said in a statement. “The team’s welfare remains our priority and we will confirm new travel dates once all documentation is finalised.”
Coach Hugo Broos said the delay was frustrating but that the technical team would adjust training schedules locally until clearance is granted. Players affected are reportedly from overseas-based clubs and required additional processing time.
South Africa qualified for the expanded 48-team World Cup earlier this year and is set to play its group stage matches in June 2026. SAFA stressed that the postponement will not affect Bafana’s participation, only the timing of their arrival at camp. Supporters have expressed concern online, with many calling for faster government intervention to avoid further disruptions before the tournament kicks off.
This is a developing story. SAFA said it will provide an update once new departure details are confirmed.

Comments
Post a Comment