BREAKING NEWS: NPA Moves to Re-Enroll Case Against Taxi Boss Joe “Ferrari” Sibanyoni


MPUMALANGA — The National Prosecuting Authority says it has already instructed officials to re-enroll the court matter involving prominent taxi boss Madoda “Joe Ferrari” Sibanyoni and three co-accused. The case was struck off the roll by the Kwaggafontein Magistrate’s Court in Mpumalanga on Monday after prosecutor Adv Mkhuseli Ntaba failed to appear for the bail application.

NPA spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said the instruction from National Director of Public Prosecutions Adv Andy Mothibi had gone out, and the process to reinstate the matter was already underway. 

“The instruction from the NDPP has already gone, and as I speak to you - as part of this report that is still coming, we will also know how far this matter is - but the instruction to re-enroll the matter has already gone, and they’ve started the process,” Kganyago said. 

“As at early this morning, they were already talking to the investigating officers, and checking what needs to be done, so that this matter can be re-enrolled.” Kganyago added that the NPA is expecting a report from Ntaba on Tuesday afternoon explaining why he was not in court. 

Background on the court collapse:

The case collapsed on 18 May 2026 after Ntaba failed to appear for the bail hearing. Chief Magistrate Tule-tu Tonjeni struck the matter off the roll and issued a warrant for Ntaba’s arrest for contempt of court. The NPA confirmed Ntaba had been suspended pending disciplinary proceedings.

Sibanyoni, Mvimbi Daniel Masilela, Philemon Msiza and Oupa Josiah “Bafana” Sindane face charges of extortion and money laundering linked to alleged R2 million in “protection fees” demanded from a mining businessman between 2022 and 2025.

Sibanyoni, 60, was arrested on 12 May 2026 by the Special Task Force at his Centurion home. His name has featured in the Madlanga Commission hearings probing alleged criminal infiltration into policing and the judiciary.

The Portfolio Committee on Justice and Constitutional Development called Ntaba’s no-show a “gross betrayal of the constitutional mandate,” saying it compromised the fight against organised crime.

The NPA said it would review the magistrate’s order to determine the best legal mechanism to proceed. The matter can only be reinstated with written authorisation from the Director of Public Prosecutions in Mpumalanga.


Comments